Posts tagged G.I. Joe
Today, I was able to get up early, take care of some Christmas shopping and watch three shows I have been waaaaay behind on. G.I. Joe: Renegades, Young Justice and Transformers: Prime. Tom has already talked Prime, and has called me about it multiple times. So as an overview….
G.I. Joe: Renegades – The animated version of the A-Team. I love the A-Team (Including the recent Movie). I love G.I. Joe. I should love this, but right now I am sitting on ‘good’ but willing to watch more episodes.
Young Justice – I am a HUGE fan of Batman: The Animated Series, Superman: The Animated Series, Batman Beyond (the weakest of the set), Justice League and Justice League Unlimited. I LOATHED Teen Titans and The Batman. I thought Batman: The Brave and the Bold was marginal, with a few really good episodes. Lastly, I have been a fan of the direct to video releases, especially the shorts that were the ‘added bonus’ on each. So I was truly expecting to not enjoy Young Justice at all. I was wrong. I want to see more.
Transformers: Prime – Complete crap. It took all my willpower to sit through the first episode. Did I mention it was crap? This might be as bad as Beast Wars… might.
That’s all the comments I have time for now… later I’ll get into why I enjoy Young Justice. Though I have a feeling my complete dislike for Transformers: Prime will need to wait for the next DARE! The Transformers Panel Ultimate.
I have an opinion!
Yes I do… and many have said that I truly hate most of what is produced for the mass media. Yes, I loathe Lost but that show became a parody of itself. I hate Heroes. That show just pretended to be good. Transformers, G.I. Joe, and Star Trek (J.J. Hackbrams) were all movies whose writers needed the crutch from pre-existing fandom. All were nothing like the original but had a ‘BIG NAME’ to bank on. It is the epitome of laziness in mass media today. Today on Facebook, I was challenged to come up with anything I actually *LIKED* “in the last few years”. That time period was defined as 3 years. So, now I will dig deep into my mind and come up with that list, and it may just surprise you!
- Stardust (2007) – I went to see this film initially to just keep people from going to a movie alone. I was truly impressed with the film and own it on DVD and HD-DVD. Yes, I said HD-DVD!
- Enchanted (2007) – This film was exactly what it was trying to be. Both cute and a satire on the whole ‘save the Princess’ genre. The cameos by the ladies of previous features kill me.
- Live Free or Die Hard UNRATED (2007) – As much as I loved Die Hard 1 & 2, but loathed 3… the fourth installment of the franchise brought it back. Though this only goes for the awesomeness that is the unrated version.
- Justice League Unlimited (ended in 2006) – I truly love the DC Animated Universe. Keeping continuity for over 10 years on TV is just unheard of. It takes a storyline that began in Batman: The Animated Series, continued through Superman:TAS, Batman Beyond, Static Shock, and Justice League to a final completion with the Lex Luthor, Darkseid and the Anti-Life Equation. Ten times better than Final Crisis attempted to do.
- Three Sheets (2007) – Zane Lamprey created a show that has a camera follow him drink around the world. Oh, and we learn some culture too!
- Kung Fu Panda (2008) – Just plain fun! There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness.
- Justice League: The New Frontier (2008) – As good of an adaptation of the series as one could get in the limited time frame. You can check out the podcast for my detailed opinion.
- Stargate SG-1 (ended in 2006) – What started as just a run of the mill science fiction show began realizing that continuity and serialized stories were much better than the episodic drudge that was on TV at the time.
- Iron Man (2008) – You know what you get when you take a superhero and don’t make him extra angsty or closer to the people. You get a good superhero movie.
- 300 (2006) – MANTASTIC!
- Speed Racer (2008) – Yeah, people didn’t like it. The problem with this film was the reason why I truly enjoyed it, own it on BluRay and still watch it at least once a month. It is a near PERFECT translation of Speed Racer to the big screen. People wanted some Transformers style junk. This was exactly what it should have been.
- Hot Fuzz (2007) – I don’t know why, but I thought this movie rocked! Actually, I think it was for the ending.
- Fanboys (2008) – Even though it had its issues and the story is completely unbelievable, it’s cute. Luckily they didn’t completely butcher this, as we expected they would.
- Slumdog Millionaire (2008) – Ok, yeah, it won an Oscar, but I think it was one of the most original storytelling films of last year.
I probably missed some stuff… but again, I am old and my mind is going.
I listen and watch stuff with the ‘directing’ team and ‘writing’ team and ‘producing’ team… and they talk about about creating a ‘whole new world of Star Trek’, and ‘allowing everyone to experience Star Trek the first time’. ARGH! If you wanted to create a ‘whole new world’ why the hell didn’t you make your own story and not jump onto a franchise… Oh yeah, you’re a lazy putz that needs to jump onto the dead horse that the idiot Rick Berman brought about.
These are the same idiots that brought us Enterprise… Yeah. I’ll just add this to the list of stuff that will get me annoyed to no end this summer:
- Star Trek
- G.I. Joe (yeah, not the Greatest AMERICAN Hero but some multicultural mish-mash of crap)
- Transformers 2 (not like Transformers got me annoyed enough)
Joey Snackpants, Esq., taking rants to the next conclusion…